It took about 2 days to prepare a silicone rubber mold. After a good 16 hours of curing, the mold was ready to use, and I made my first pour. The castings only took about 15 minutes to cure enough that I could take them out of the mold, so on my first night, I made 6 castings. When they come out of the mold, they are solid but still plyable. The next morning, they were hard as a rock. A quick clean-up with an exacto-knife to remove excess was all that was required.
I put together one of the castings with a proxy instrument face and the etched compass face that I had made last year on a laser engraver. Once installed into the panel, the look was very convincing. The only obvious difference is that the real gauge was showing wear and tear with aluminum showing through it's painted surface. My cast instrument bezel ring was cast in black, so the paint will never rub off.
Instrument Design: Overall design based on plans in "Building Simulated Aircraft Instrumentation" by Mike Powell (www.mikesflightdeck.com) with extrapolations for the ring made by me from various photos online.
3D Printing: Completed by me on a RepRap 3D printer, usage provided by NextFAB Studio.
Casting Materials: Smooth-On Silicone Rubber Mold Liquid and Smooth-On Off-White Casting Resin, purchased at www.inventables.com. Black casting pigment purchased at www.smooth-on.com.
Resources:
CAD Software: Solidworks 2013, usage provided by NextFAB Studio (www.nextfab.org).Instrument Design: Overall design based on plans in "Building Simulated Aircraft Instrumentation" by Mike Powell (www.mikesflightdeck.com) with extrapolations for the ring made by me from various photos online.
3D Printing: Completed by me on a RepRap 3D printer, usage provided by NextFAB Studio.
Casting Materials: Smooth-On Silicone Rubber Mold Liquid and Smooth-On Off-White Casting Resin, purchased at www.inventables.com. Black casting pigment purchased at www.smooth-on.com.





Hi Andrew,
ReplyDeletehere at the other side of the pont I am really exicted to meet other sim builders like me who are building into a real shell. I am just beginning to make a website, but some impressions are to be found here:
www.twinSim.eu/shell.html
I am also impressed by your bezels. I have purchased some with encoders from DIYrealism, but those you made could fit even better. There is a fab lab here in Vienna where I will be laser engraving my panels, they also have a 3d printer. Still I have no idea yet how to design in 3d...
Look forward to exchange information with you ... my email is on my starting website.
Best, Alfred
An exceptionally complex method for composing, making impacts particularly in dialect and writing.
ReplyDeletebuckets